Thursday 25 March 2010

Herring salad sandwiches

Another day my wife visited Eastern Europe shop and bought some herring fillets in oil. Their coming in different flavours like cinnamon, smoked and so on and it's very delicious. But most important thing- there's no bones as I hate the small bones in the fish. She's got the plain ones. There is many ways what you can do with the herring fillet. I think Vietnamese's frying in. I remember once when I been in Germany, some my neighbours been frying the herring and the smell was something you could not stand for. I nearly wanted to call them firefighters:) Or maybe they been doing something wrong... Another, traditional dish from Eastern Europe is very simple. You just eat them with boiled potatoes and creme frache (delicious!) what reminds me on the remote village life.
But I decided to do something different. Just the small bites as a snack or starter if you like.
Here comes my simple but delicious recipe:

3-4 Herring Fillet
1 onion
2 carrots
sunflower seeds
ketchup and mayonnaise




Fry onions and carrots in the pan on sunflower oil until soft. Don't put to much oil. Once fired it has to be more or less dry. On another pan with no oil fry sunflower seeds until light brown (don't forget to stir them all the time while frying). Cut the herring fillet in small slices. Once your mixture of carrots and onions is chilled mix everything together by adding ketchup and mayonnaise. Serve on rye bred or on its own.
Maybe it doesn't looks tasty but if you like fish- it's delicious! Believe me.

No comments:

Post a Comment